Monday, March 31, 2014

Workshop Demos

I promised to post pics of the demonstrations that I did at my workshop on Landscape textures. The goal of the workshop was to imply texture without painting every blade of grass. I am a big fan  of random marks made with brushwork or with spatter and quite literally throwing the paint at the paper. With practice, you can usually get the paint in the general area that you wanted.
The class called this the "splash, splat and thump technique."
Here are 4 of my demonstration pieces. I think it makes more sense to see the techniques demonstrated within the context of a painting rather than in isolation as "this is grass or this is distant trees" so started 4 separate compositions. I might continue working on these today. 

These are all painted  on 10 x 14 inch sheets